Bicycle commuting is the regular use of a bicycle to travel from home to a place of work or study — in contrast to the use of bicycles for sport, recreation, touring or utility. Bicycles are used for commuting worldwide, though in isolated pockets in the United States. Mixed-mode commuting combines the use of a bicycle with public transportation for commuting.
Bicycle commuting offers potential health, economic and quality of life benefits — offsetting potential risks and inconveniences including limitations to travel distance, security risks, increased travel time, safety risks, impact to personal hygiene, exposure to inclement weather and load carrying limitations.
Bicycle features that enhance commuting include racks or panniers for storage, battery or dynamo-powered lights for increased visibility, mudguards or fenders to minimize the impact of inclement weather, a chain guard to protect clothing, and an upright sitting position for increased visibility. 2008 saw the rise of bikes in the U.S with similar features and called commuter bikes and geared directly at riders looking to use bicycles for daily work and study travel.
United States LegislationEdit
March 2007 - Bicycle Commuters Benefits Act (H.R.807, S.2635), introduced by Senator Ron Wyden (Democrat-OR), and currently co-sponsored by Senators Olympia Snowe (Republican-ME), Maria Cantwell (Democrat-WA), Susan Collins (Republican-ME), Richard Durbin (Democrat-Ill), Robert Menendez (Democrat-NJ), Daniel Inouye (Democrat-HI), Norm Coleman (Republican-MN), and Mike Enzi (Republican-WY).
The United States decennial Census collects information from respondents about Means of Transportation to Work. Bicycle has been an option since the 1980 Census. The Census does not collect information about transportation means to school.
See also Edit
- Bicycle transportation engineering
- Bike-to-Work Day
- European city bike
- Segregated cycle facilities
- Utility cycling
- Bicycle safety
|Search Wikimedia Commons||Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Commuting|
- Bike to Work Week/Day Map and Events List
- Commuting 101 commutebybike.com
- Commute by bike CommuteByBike.net
- Bike & equipment reviews BikeCommuters.com
- Resources for the Aspiring Bike Commuter C.I.C.L.E.
- Practical cycling Bicycling Life
- Biking to Work Manual Chicagoland Bicycle Federation
- Bike Commuting in the Philippines
- Commuting pages Paul Dorn
- Commuting pages Ken Kifer
- Commuting Advice London Cycling Campaign
- "Bicycle versus Bus" cartoon comparing one artist's experiences in Brisbane
- A list of bicycle collectives and coops promoting bike commuting
- User-contributed commute route database Zoom around Town